All Change

Thanks, Past Me, for taking really good photos.

Hello again. This is a sort of corralling post, for where I am on the internet at the moment, and why:

  1. Here. This blog. A lighter, less fraught (at least for me), less shiny and more comfortable place to blog about life and stuff and random thoughts and things.
  2. Substack: for essays and writing and bigger projects that I’ve been working on for awhile and may or may not come to fruition any time soon. I’m letting myself be ok with that.
  3. Instagram: sigh. Not my favourite place, but I do have a tiny community there and I’m loathe to leave it.
  4. TikTok: yes, I joined. And you know what? It’s kinda fun. Still working out how to all works, but… yeah.
  5. VSCO: I have decided that (for now, at least) I do not like Grainery. I don’t know what it is, but there is something that just doesn’t feel nice to me. And so I will see about posting my film photos on VSCO, I think, as a place to put them. It’s quite a pretty place and I like how it feels, which is my deciding factor on all these spaces.
  6. Tumblr: yes, I know. But it used to be fun and I like how it’s a place for photography. I had some of my photos floating around there a decade ago and it was quite neat. So photography will go there, I think.
  7. Behance: now I know people use this for photography, but I want to use it (mainly) for art. As a portfolio, I suppose.
  8. Making: I just joined this and so far it’s really neat, although I’m not 100% sure what you’re supposed to/allowed to post there. It kinda seems like anything creative goes, and that’s neat. @woodlandandsea over there.
Places I won’t be at (I don’t think, anyway):
  1. Flickr: yes, ages ago this was the place to be. I rejoined and it…it hasn’t really changed in a weird way. But I have. So no.
  2. Grainery: maybe it’s all the nudity of female-presenting bodies. Maybe it’s a sort of film-based snobbery I’ve never been on board with. Maybe it’s imposter syndrome, maybe likes with no real community interaction is not enough. I don’t know what it is, I just don’t want to post there.
  3. Pencil Booth: I like the idea, but does anyone really want a micro-newsletter signposting them to all these other places? Maybe. I don’t know. 
As to my website, I don’t know right now. It’s still there, looking shiny and wonderful and not very me. And if this is all too much to remember, there’s always this page.

I reserve the right to change my mind and go full on hermit mode and delete the lot. Right now I just need places that feel less horrible, and this is my (current) plan.

So. Have a good one. 

Comments