Nano-ish

back when these boots were made for walking, spring 2012*

Well, now, turns out, I’ve already hit 50k in October, so that’s a thing. (Surprised me, I can tell you.) But I’m not in it for the numbers, I’m in it to try and get this rewrite sorted. After drafting and edits and more drafts and more edits, I submitted the first book of my series to a handful of literary agents and got a lot of varied responses, from “I have enough of x genre on my list already” to an essay about how great a story it is, how much audiences will love it, but… The but is the kicker, because almost everyone who bothered to read it said the same thing: the voice is off. And I knew they were right, even if it was extremely frustrating to have tried and failed when I thought the voice was ok, but obviously ok wasn’t going to cut it. So this is a massive rewrite, a massive re-voicing, for lack of a better way of putting it. Two years of being unable to write due to rampant RA plus a new understanding of how certain elements of the story can work, plus a total POV switch and yeah, it’s big. So 50k is absolutely fantastic and we’re going to make a pumpkin pie to celebrate, but it isn’t anywhere near done. And that’s ok. This story is huge, and I want to get it aligned. So November will see me doing Nano-ish, bring on the community with zero pressure on the word count front. Woohoo!

* quite literally was unable to walk several months later: Lisfranc fracture, and oooh, those things aren’t nice. 

Comments