About Me: Storyteller

Salisbury Cathedral at sunset, 2007

 So, this space. Welcome and hi. I have decided that (for now) this will be a space for writing, books, and things of the wordy, creative ilk which is my chosen profession, and not to be too spiritual about it, also my calling. (I knew I wanted to be a writer from the age of 4, and in four decades that has not changed.)

Why Blogger and not the website I already have? Many reasons. And I’ll leave it at that for now.

So, writing! Where to begin. I am writing a book*. Well, actually, a series of books. Well, one of the series i have floating around my brain because I don’t seem to think in standalone books. This one is 5 books at the moment, with 3 of the 5 written and in the process of being re-written because they need it. The story is fantastic, but I have more than one queried agent tell me the voice is off, and I’ve known they’re right for years but a) I got very attached to the version I have written, b) it’s going to be so much work to rewrite them (although it does feel right to do so, so there’s that), and c) rheumatoid arthritis reared it’s head 2 years ago and has been kicking my butt ever since. I won’t get too into my health here, since I have other spaces for that, I’ll just say that arthritis + typing = OUCH. So there hasn’t been a lot of it for some time. I’m on methotrexate, which took a year to kick in, plays chicken with my liver enzymes, and isn’t quite enough at the dose I’m at. 

I have decided that since I’m kinda sorta writing again, I would do it in a community, so I’ve decided to do Nano this year. My goal is nowhere near 50k, but rather, just to get myself into the habit of writing again, while also balancing all my new and crappier health issues. They won’t go away, so I need to adapt. And I’m not going to stop telling stories, so I need to adapt there as well. 

So that’s about it for now as my hands are not liking this cold wet weather right now, but again, welcome fellow writers and story-lovers. It’s a neat way to be, isn’t it?

* I am always writing books. I wrote the first when I was 12, picked it back up in 2003, put it aside because it’s gotten massive (single story —> multi generational saga —> 3 different multi generational sagas involving three different families which are somehow all part of the same world, only I haven’t quite seen how yet). Picked up the current story world, which came to me in a flood of characters and places and a living breathing world I love so much and have been working on that since 2015, minus 2 years while the RA ran amok. And that’s not counting the story worlds I’ve got crowding around my head waiting to be written. It’s a lot! But I love it.

Comments